Tuesday 14 August 2007

Your own conviction or simply rumour?

Last week on the day before the Tibet Marathon I grabbed my big bag with clothes, shoes, chocolate and a donation and set off for a woman and children's alliance near Leh in Ladakh deep in the heart of the Himalayas. i was really excited and curious of what I was to expect there and enjoyed the unfathomably beautiful landscape on the "roof of the world". I was curious as well, as a Danish Marathon assistant had heard that the director of the alliance was "a real witch, really uncongenial."

Well, I'm always very cautious about such hearsay, caught myself however thinking during the walk about how I'd encounter her. "Why was someone like that heading a cultural organisation and sanctuary for women and children?" I thought.

After a while I arrived and was immediately surrounded by Ladakhi children, who to took me for Steffi Graf. Funny, happens to me often abroad! A very cordial woman received me and offered me a scrumptious cup of Masala Tea. During a very lively exchange it turned out she was the director of the alliance. I was bewildered. That was no uncongenial witch.

I've seen quite a bit of this world, and I can say that nowhere on this earth have I experienced people to really believe and live according to the words of the Dalai Lama as they do in India: Do not believe, just because wise men say so. Do not believe, just because it has always been that way. Do not believe, just because others my think so.

Examine and experience yourself...

No comments: