Tuesday 14 August 2007

Discovering new territory

These words reach you from the hustling bustling Indian city of Delhi. By the time you've got them in your hands though, I've moved on to Ladakh, where I'll be running the Great Tibet Marathon. After my encounter with the man on the Great Wall of China who'd lost his legs in a car accident, I've met an Indian Rickshaw driver who was peddling away - with no right leg or left arm. He told me his story and how he had left his home town of Chennai to better deal with his fate.

That reminded me of Simon, one of my 7 tentmates from the Marathon des Sables. He was the only one I knew who had a rash between the legs before! even the first of 6 starts due to an earlier intime shave. He was a rascal, full of mischief. After the long stage, he stole all of my underpants and spread them in the neighboring tents. His girlfreind had left him and, at the same time, he'd lost his job. He came to the desert to dive into a new world, the intense world of sports.

The hot desert wind and fine sand stroked his face for nine days and like a sponge, his soul soaked up the great experiences of the Marathon des Sables. After 250 Km in the Sahara, he was like new. Wouldn't you agree that getting unexpected stranded can lead one to discover most precious new territories?

No comments: